17th July 2012
The Localism Act 2011 and the Code of Conduct (Agenda Item 22)
The Head of Legal and Democratic Services responded to Councillors’ questions in respect of the register of members’ interests. He confirmed he would be writing to all Councillors shortly asking them to complete and return the new declaration of interests form.
Motion: Moved by Councillor Ashton, seconded by Councillor Ian Porter and
(1) that the new Code of Conduct as set out in Appendix 2 of the report be adopted;
(2) that a Sub-Committee of the Planning and Regulatory Committee be established to be called the “Standards Sub Committee”, the remit of which would be the consideration of allegations about Councillors of both this Council and the Parish/Town Councils within North Somerset where it is alleged that a Councillor may have breached the Code of Conduct adopted by their authority, and to also consider and determine where an investigation has subsequently found that a Councillor has breached their Code of Conduct;
(3) that the arrangements for dealing with allegations relating to a breach of the code as set out in Appendix 4 of the report be adopted;
(4) that the previous Independent Members Georgina Peacock and Steve Harvey be appointed as the Independent Persons required under the Localism Act 2011 until such time as two new Independent Persons can be appointed by the Council;
(5) that the selection of two suitable persons to be appointed as the Independent Person(s) under the Localism Act 2011 be delegated to the Monitoring Officer for subsequent appointment by the Council;
(vi) that a Standing Order be added to the Council and Executive Standing Orders to emphasise that Members should leave a meeting at which they have declared a pecuniary interest at the start of the debate relating to the item that involves the Members pecuniary interest; and
(6) that any other necessary alterations be made to the Council’s Constitution to give effect to the requirements of the Localism Act 2011 with regard to Standards.